Spinal Cord Injury
Santa Clarita Personal Injury Attorney
The spinal cord is the backbone of human life, literally. The spine not only provides physical support and mobility, but it is also the channel traveled by the nerves of the body, which send and receive messages to and from the brain. It is, at the very least, a vital part of the body and any trauma to the spine can be painful and debilitating.
Traumatic spinal cord injury is always the result of external trauma in a sudden swift blow. While immediate symptoms of spinal cord injury may result from the fracture or dislocation of vertebrae, additional damage may manifest gradually in the form of bleeding, inflammation and fluid buildup in the spinal cord.
Causes of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
The most common causes of spinal cord injury often involve high impact trauma which affects the nerve fibers that pass through the injured part of the cord. The damage to body function depends on the location of the injury.
In the United States, the most common causes of spinal injury are as follows:
- Motor-Vehicle Accidents: Car and motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injury in the country, accounting for 40 percent of new injuries annually.
- Falls: Slip and fall accidents that often cause the individual to fall hard on their lower back cause spinal compression and damage. Falls account for more than 25 percent of all spinal cord injuries.
- Violence: Studies show that acts of violence cause 15 percent of spinal injuries, including gunshot wounds and knife stabbing to that area of the body.
Other noteworthy causes of spinal cord injury include high-impact sports and recreational activities such as football, hockey and mountain climbing. Alcohol was found to be involved in over one fourth of all spinal cord injuries per year in the form of drunk driving, recklessness and violent behavior.
The Costs of Spinal Injury
Because the spine is such an important feature to any person, injuries are often accompanied by extremely high costs, both financial and personal. Depending on the location of the injuries, surgery and physical therapy may be required as a form of treatment. Furthermore, effects on mobility and function may interfere with one's work and income. All at once, the cost of spinal cord injury can become a catastrophe in and of itself.
Spinal cord injuries have been known to cause life-effects. Individuals suffering from the damage may experience difficulty in moving, walking and even interacting with loved ones.
Different forms of spinal cord damage can result in:
- Paralysis: Paralysis is the loss of ability to move in part or even most of the body. The loss of muscle function can also be accompanied by the loss of feeling in the affected area if there is severe nerve damage.
- Paraplegia: Paraplegia refers to the complete loss of feeling and mobility in the lower half of the body including legs and lower back.
- Quadriplegia: Also known as tetraplegia, quadriplegia is paralysis resulting in the partial or total loss of sensory and motor use of all limbs and torso.
Spinal cord injury can be but is not always permanent. Either way, it will pose significant obstacles to one's ability to work for ages and enjoy life the way they did before the injuries. Because of the high costs associated with this injury, negligent acts that cause spinal cord injury should be pursued with only the most aggressive legal action.
Serious Injury Lawyer for Spinal Cord Trauma
Spinal cord injuries often require emergency medical attention, surgery, hospitalization and intensive therapy which can all add up to very high costs. Medical costs, medication expenses and future treatment are joined by additional losses through the form of inability to work for income and the need for living assistance. Because of the significance of such an injury, any assistance in the form of finances can have a huge impact on one's recovery.
If you suffered spinal cord injury in an accident that was someone else's fault, they can and should be held liable for their actions. Suffering injury is enough pain and struggle in and of itself; you should not have to pay for an accident that you did not cause. Let The Law Offices of Gerald L. Marcus assist you in making a claim for the compensation your rightly deserve.
Contact a Santa Clarita personal injury attorney to schedule a case evaluation and learn more about how we can help you move on from this tragedy.
We've Recovered Millions
We're always looking to make sure our clients get the justice they deserve. With millions recovered, we know what it takes to win both inside and outside the courtroom.VIEW ALL CASE RESULTS
Featured Success Stories
Over the past four decades, we've successfully resolved hundreds of cases. Learn more about our clients success stories by visiting our testimonials section.VIEW ALL TESTIMONIALS
Working With Our Firm
At The Law Offices of Gerald L. Marcus, we have a variety of legal professionals at our disposal focused on creating the ideal strategy for your case.MEET OUR LEGAL TEAM