Plastic Surgery Malpractice in Santa Clarita
No area of the medical field is free from the risk of error, including plastic surgery. While a majority of the plastic surgery procedures conducted every year are voluntary cosmetic surgeries, plastic surgeons still have a legal obligation their patients. Straying from these duties and administering a bad surgery can not only anger the patient but also hurt them.
Like other medical fields, plastic surgery also falls under the medical standard of care. This means that plastic surgeons are expected to provide treatment to the level of any reasonable doctors of a similar field and under similar circumstances. Failure to meet this standard, causing injury or damage to the patient, would be considered medical malpractice.
Risks of Bad Plastic Surgery
The area of plastic surgery is often overlooked on the subject of malpractice and injury risks because it is largely thought of as cosmetic. However, the procedures, though they are cosmetic, involve a large number of biological factors which can hurt or help the patient. There are numerous risks for every procedure and high health standards for the patient to meet in order to qualify for the desired procedure.
A number of factors can contribute to an increased risk of error during a plastic surgery procedure:
- Poor pre-operative health: prior to the surgery, patients must be in good physical and emotional health in order for the surgery to go as desired. Patients who smoke, are on supplements or take regular medications are required to disclose this information and the medical professionals are expected to accommodate those factors in order to avoid complications.
- Surgeon inexperience: Plastic surgery is a highly specialized area of medicine, requiring far more training and education than general medicine. Surgeons with inadequate experience increase the risk of a botched and even harmful procedure.
- Prolonged procedures: The longer a surgery is, the higher the risk. Keeping a patient under the knife for a long time exposes vulnerable organs to injury. Patients should be aware of the risks and doctors should not unnecessarily prolong the surgery.
These complications are far more prevalent than anyone would like to think. The injuries involved with failed, bad or unsuccessful plastic surgery are not only cosmetic and have the potential to be deadly to the patient.
Injury claims associated with plastic surgery malpractice include:
- Hematoma (blood clots)
- Wrong procedure, size or location
- Pulmonary embolisms
- Allergic reactions
- Sexual misconduct by medical team
- Pain medication overdose
- Nerve damage
There are a number of other injuries that can occur depending on the specific type of procedure. When patients are paying untold numbers of money to obtain satisfactory results, it is the responsibility of the doctors and employees to warn of, protect from and respond to the risk of harm associated with the procedure.
Furthermore, doctors are expected to perform to the standard of care and promote the safety of the patient first and foremost. Plastic surgery is no small matter. There are serious risks involved and any amount of negligence or incompetence can quickly lead to detrimental injuries.
Contact a Santa Clarita Personal Injury Attorney Today
Living near the greater Los Angeles area, it is no secret that plastic surgery is a common reality for many people in the area. This also means that there are people who have suffered the results of plastic surgery complications due to medical malpractice and negligence.
If you are a victim of bad plastic surgery, contact a Santa Clarita malpractice lawyer from The Law Offices of Gerald L. Marcus to learn whether you have grounds to pursue a legal claim against the at-fault plastic surgeon.
We've Recovered Millions
We're always looking to make sure our clients get the justice they deserve. With millions recovered, we know what it takes to win both inside and outside the courtroom.VIEW ALL CASE RESULTS
Featured Success Stories
Over the past four decades, we've successfully resolved hundreds of cases. Learn more about our clients success stories by visiting our testimonials section.VIEW ALL TESTIMONIALS
Working With Our Firm
At The Law Offices of Gerald L. Marcus, we have a variety of legal professionals at our disposal focused on creating the ideal strategy for your case.MEET OUR LEGAL TEAM